Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Color vs. Black & White

Ever think that changing a photo to from color to black and white makes that much of a difference? I think it does.

Take a look at a few photos I took tonight and form your own opinion. Do you enjoy one coloring vs. the other? Do you notice different things or focus on different things in color vs. b/w? Does the b/w shot make you feel something that the color shot did not?

Grant Park Trees -
Jay Pritzker Pavilion during tonight's concert -
Art Institute/Skyline -
So what do you think of these shots in color vs. b/w? Do you generally like one over the other?




Finally, completely unrelated, why does this child have a grass costume on? He and his friends were definitely trying to scare someone. The things you see in the city... gotta love it.
To be a kid again...

What do you think? Which one do you prefer? Does the coloring change what you look at or how you feel?

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! Grass contume. What the heck!?!
    I LOVE color, but b&w gives me more feeling. Like your tree photo in b&w feels dark and lonely. I love that there is always something going on for you to photograph living in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, glad you appreciated the grass costume. I didn't even know what to call it at first - swamp child? And I also agree with your thoughts on color vs. b/w. I generally think that b/w makes a photo much more dramatic and makes you feel more emotions like the one of the trees.

    In the second set of the concert, I really notice the red in the first shot, specifically the stage and the chairs. But in the b/w shot, I take more note of the the skyline and the picture as a whole.

    And with the third set of photos, there isn't a lot of going on that is that interesting other than the color, so when you take that out, it's nothing too special (in my opinion).

    And I didn't even consider turning the grass costume to b/w, then you wouldn't be able to appreciate his disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to say with the bw vs color thing...totally 100% depends on the picture. This might sound weird, but sometimes bw adds "importance"....not sure if that's the right word, to a picture.
    On the other hand, I love color photos too, especially your skyline shots you've done before. Sometimes when those kind of pics are changed to bw, it loses the pop. Other times, it's completely appropriate to do bw.
    How's that for a totally random answer? haha

    ReplyDelete