Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A World Without Borders

As I'm sure most of you know by now, Borders will be closing its doors for good next month. Although not that surprising with the rise of ebooks, the popularity of Amazon, and the poor economy, it is still kind of crazy to see such a large company go under.

I have yet to convert over to the ebook world, I've got too many paperbacks on my bookshelf that need to be read first. But I will admit I am much more likely to purchase a book from Goodwill or Amazon before Borders or B&N.

Yet it is still sad to see them go (and I feel bad for everyone who is losing their jobs). Kind of a present day "You've Got Mail" and instead of Fox Books vs. The Shop Around the Corner it's Amazon.com vs. Borders. Anyone?!
What do you think about Borders closing? Sad or a long time coming?

2 comments:

  1. I have heard stories about how poorly Borders adjusted to the electronic age. While Barnes and Nobles was developing the nook, Borders didn't change.

    On a more personal level, I find kindles, ipads and reading on computers not as enjoyable as a book. But I think this will change, not with out growing pains. The real beauty of the written word is the ideas.

    This being said, I don't think the world will ever be paperless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "You've got Mail" comparison. I refused to buy a kindle or nook until this summer because I loved the feeling of turning pages and watching myself complete the book. I absolutely love my kindle now. Books aren't too pricy, actually. I've gotten some new ones for $4. They run sales, which is great! I'll be asking for Amazon gift cards for holidays.

    ReplyDelete